Clean ‘ Bhagalpur’ Drive, Sanitation & Waste Disposal System Awareness
- Rajesh led an awareness-driveabout solid waste disposal and ensured the residents of ‘Door-To-Door Trash Collection’ throughout the city. This initiative fetched widespread participation and acceptance.
- Under the Road Cleanliness Drive, the city was divided into 5 zones and independent ‘night-shift’ teams were formed. These teams operated between 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. in the evening and were responsible for lifting the dumped garbage and cleaning roads.
- Distributed a set of two dustbins (for waste sorting)to 600 households and one dustbin each to 1500 business establishments in Bhagalpur Nagar Nagim Ward 38. He also personally gave information to over 60 households about the significance of efficient waste management. This drive was entirely sponsored by him.
- Engaged in monitoring the construction of the Sewage Treatment Plant at Bhagalpur. This project has been recently approved under the ‘Smart City Initiative’ for Rs 404 crores.
- During aninspection ofa street behind a Marwari school in Ward 38, Rajesh Verma noticed a pile of 8-feet deep garbage and mud. This road was the connecting routeto the market. He immediately ordered for a PCC Road to be built.
- Addressed 1,500 DAV school children and spoke about the importance of hygiene, urging them to take an oath of cleanliness.
- Started a campaign called “ Ghar Ghar Dastak”. A feedback form was prepared with questions related to the Cleanliness & Waste Management work done by the Corporation. This form was taken home-to-home personally by Rajesh Vermato seek feedback and suggestions from the residents.
- He went to talk to the villagers of Maksaspur, located near Bejani(9km from the Bhagalpur) about the of dumping grounds in the village.
- Actively participated in the ‘Swachh Bharat Initiative’ by cleaning the cluttered area in front of Mahadev Talkies.
- Rajesh and his team are actively engaged in spreading awareness about the significance of waste management by conducting activities like street plays, rallies etc.
Urban Planning & Infrastructure
- Rajesh is leading the River Front Development initiative which is based on the model of Millennium Park (spread across the banks of the Hooghly River in Kolkata).Thiscomprehensive project is scheduled to be executed in three phases and includes construction like small playgrounds, parks, ecotourism, ferry connections and picnic spots.
- He got Four Points Traffic Lighting systems installed at crucial places within the city. Red & Green signals were arranged on the roads leading to Adampur, Barari, Kachhari and Jiromail. This made Bhagalpur the second city to have an effective traffic signal system in Bihar.
- As a committee member of the Smart City Initiative of Bhagalpur, Rajesh is overseeing the deployment of Smart Sadak Yojana for which 140 Crores has been granted. This includes construction of roads in Bhagalpur, concrete toilets at 25 locations, arrangement of garbage management and installation of 2,000 cameras to monitor every activity in the city.
- Rajeshconnected with the Road Construction Department Minister to discuss the issue of water logging in the Bholanath Bridge Road of Bhagalpur. Also, requested him to help with acquiring approvals from the railway department for building an over-bridge, stating that this over-bridge is essential for the development of the city.
- Undertook the task of repairing the damaged Lohia Bridge and removing the stagnant wastewater collected under the bridge.
- Wrote a letter to Principal Secretary of Municipal Development, Patna, for the installation of Street Lights. He also brought to notice the incompetent work being done by the existing Government appointed company EESL.
- Spearheaded a discussion between Corporation Councillors and the Commissioner for escalating following issues:
- Huge quantities of unused lights lying around in municipal warehouses (9000 lights)
- Non-implementation of various schemes
- The sale of open meat, fish etc.
- Was part of the Candle March organised by Rashtriya Mahila Jagaran Samiti & Rail Yatri Sangh to highlight the issues related to road infrastructure in Bhagalpur.
- Rajesh wrote a letter to the Minister of Social Welfare, Bihar, requesting allocation of funds for establishing:
- Care centres for children of working women
- Hostels for working women who belong to remote areas
- Nirbhaya Centre: one-stop crisis centre for sexually harassed women
- Short-Stay Homes for oppressed women
- Setting up a special fund for encouraging self-employment amongst widows and neglected/abandoned women in the society.
- Establishment of an old age home
- Beti Bachao Drive conducted.
Showcasing his commitment towards the causes of education and poverty upliftment, Rajesh Verma donated 9 blackboards, 2 fans and 5 sewing machines (for poor women) to support the charity workdone by a local teacher, Itishree(she provides free education to underprivileged children).
Safety & Other Initiatives
- Installation of 2,000 cameras to monitor every activity in the city.
- Wrote a letter to the Supply Officer for helping the beneficiaries get grains from Javipar’s shops at the right time
- 15th Sep 2017 – Participated in Swatch Sarvekshan 2018 organised by Nagar Vikas Evam Aavas Vibhaag, Bihar Sarkar in association with USAID & WSUP
- 5th Aug 2017 – Participated in Hasthashilp Prashikshan Karyakram. Hobby Class organised between 5th-14 August 2017